Ellie Mae

Ellie Mae
Beautiful Ellie Mae

Freddie, the French Bulldog

Freddie, the French Bulldog
Lazing on a sunny afternoon

The artist

The artist
Ollie Mac

Ollie and Annie

Ollie and Annie
Azorean grandmother

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Cannabis and sunflowers

Papa and Ollie Mac

Papa and Ollie Mac
Priorities, Baby

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Hollyhocks

Mahlon Masling Blue

Mahlon Masling Blue
My friend and brother.

Mark's E-mail address

bellspringsmark@gmail.com

Monday, May 1, 2023

Online Dating: Yes or No?

Is online dating only for fun and games, or can folks looking for a relationship actually find others who are looking for the same thing? 


I have reached the point where I am ready to try this. As much as I love living on this mountain, I am ready to venture out into the neighborhood, seeking a woman of mature age to spend quality time with. I may be seventy years old but I ain't dead yet.


This photo of me was taken by
 Ollie Mac a few weeks ago.
I love to cook, bake, garden, walk for pleasure, watch the Giants and 49ers on TV, and I enjoy almost every kind of music. I love painting, writing, hanging out with my grandson, working jigsaw puzzles and canning tomato products. I am not a traveling man, though I do enjoy being in Eureka, which is two hours to the north.


I keep this huge [empty] house neat and tidy, having always found it easier to maintain it than it is to clean it after it falls apart. Except for Ollie Mac, there is no one else around to make a mess. It’s a country home, so you will not find a microwave, a clothes dryer, a dishwasher (except for me), a toaster oven or a garbage disposal. You will see spider webs, ants and the occasional alligator lizard as you mosey around my house, but they’re harmless and don’t eat much.


The first thing I would divulge to a prospective partner is that I indulge in cannabis. Secondly, I would say that I would love to cook a meal for you, and then clean up the kitchen afterwards. I especially like cooking breakfast for two, which leads me into the third thing I would tell my potential partner: I would add that though I am seventy, I am still interested in intimacy. There is nothing wrong with platonic relationships, mind you, except that I am not interested in that.


If this last part seems forward, I apologize in advance; I would just be trying to avoid any unnecessary ambiguity, and plain English seems the best way to do so.


Shortly after Annie passed, I wrote a blog piece called “Only Mature Women Need Apply,” in which I expressed an interest in finding another mate. I now find that piece to be rather naive, as if women would be interested in giving up whatever they had going, to join me up here on my mountain.


I have adjusted my thinking and now realize that a full-time relationship, does not require a full-time living arrangement. It is the connection I am seeking, not a live-in partner. I am talking about being able to go back and forth from here to her place, and that she could be able to do the same thing. Each of us would have our own things going on in our own worlds, but we would also have the time and inclination to reach out for something more.


Driving is challenging for me, so I am not interested in any long-distance commuting. What does this look like? Restricting my area of interest to only The ‘Ville seems too limiting, but extending it past either Willits to the south or Garberville to the north, is simply unrealistic. Even the coast is too far, as it is close to two hours to get to Ft. Bragg. 



Off the top of my pointy little head, I might think the number of available women in these areas is small, but I don’t need any more than one, so it seems worth a try. I do ponder whether or not there are scam artists hanging out at these online dating sites, and how one would go about determining legitimate responders from fake ones, but that is just me catastrophizing. 


Assuming it was better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, if you have ever tried online dating and feel like sharing what that was like, I would appreciate knowing how it worked out for you. Thanks! 

9 comments:

  1. I have been married for lots of years so have not tried on line dating. I have, however, enjoyed several on line friendships via social media sites. If my situation were different, I would have enjoyed following up in person with these people I met on line. I think that online connections can be a delightful beginning to something else. I know several friends IRL who have found joy and delight in relationships that began life on a dating site. I say, go for it! I love you, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Markie, I’ve tried online dating and I know that several of my friends have been successful at finding a partner. However, for me, it’s been a disappointment. I’ve been catfished twice and now I’m weary of the whole thing. I’ve come to the conclusion that maybe I’m better off by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gerry La Londe-BergMay 1, 2023 at 7:44 AM

    Mark, I highly recommend eHarmony or another paid resource. The commitment of payment filters in those who are serious. As you will recall, I had several successful dating relationships. What you have not heard, is that on January 1st I met Sara who is someone I can love and cherish for the rest of my life. I make this as a disclosure on your page because it seems appropriate and consistent with our friendship. Sara is going to reply to you and I would read her thoughts carefully because she is amazing. ...and she's a writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much thanks for your comment and for sharing my post with Sara.

      Delete
  4. Gerry La Londe-BergMay 1, 2023 at 7:46 AM

    P.S. Your profile does not fully explain that you are a gourmet cook, so the meals will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mark, Gerry has shared your blog post with me. He suggested I post a reply. Gerry and I are now a big E-harmony success story. This comes for me after a very long run with on-line dating. Way, way back in the late 90s, I became single after a 24-year relationship and I started out with the personal ads in the back of the East Bay Express at the time when match dot com was just getting off the ground. From '98 to 2022, I was off and on -- mostly off-- with the on-line dating sites: match, OK cupid, Jdate (for Jews). I even tried something called "elite singles" which was supposed to be for educated people but was really full of scammers. I had a few short-time relationships and I also met -- I'm estimating here -- between 100 and 150 men for one hour or so intro conversations at cafes. It was mostly awful! In the last few years, I'd just dip into match now and then when they'd offer a half-off subscription. My method became to wait for a contact and then have a number of emali exhanges on the site until I would inevitabley conclude that there was "no there there" and I'd write a nice closing email and spare myself from the discomfort of having to spend an hour with someone I knew would be a total bore. In the fall of 2022, I threw my hands up in the air after the last go-round on match and, once again, decided to just do nothing. But on the morning of November 25th, I suddenly felt complelled to join E-harmony and I cringed when I plunked down the $400 minimal subscription for 5 months. Within hours, I was contacted by a cute guy calling himself "Gerry the poet and retired social worker" in Petaluma, 30 miles north of me, a little far, but he was so cute and interesting. I drafted a reply and then never heard back and then spent a month wondering: where is Gerry the poet? On December 27, I decided I would just send him a "smile," and when I went back to the E-harmony site, I discovered that on Nov. 25th, I had not hit the send button. I wrote him a little note of apology about that, he emailed right back and the next day he suggested we meet in Novato on January 1st. Thus began a whirlwind romance with the romantic and brilliant Gerry whom I now madly in love with. So, advice: do not give up! Try sites outside your comfort zone. The ones that require payment are at least theoretically better because they screen out a lot of drek. However, I also discovered that sites that attract "elite" or "educated" or "senior" members are also magnets for scammers, and you can tell them right away b/c they include their phone numbers/personal emails in their very first contact. Block and report them to the site and they'll be removed. Also, now that we all have Zoom, there's no need to waste time schlepping far and meeting someone in person until you've had a chance for lots of easy conversation on-line to see if you even like the person. Regarding geography, you might hold in mind your own parameters, but if you put that in your profile, you might accidentally exclude someone who's just outside those parameters. You can always, once they contact you or respond, decide it's just too far. Mostly, just do it and don't give up. A large percentage of middle aged people now meet their partners on-line. There are countless single women out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well written and from
      Experience You are correct
      He may limit
      The person if she is Rutherford south than Willits
      Or
      Further north than Garberville

      Delete
    2. Heavens to Murgatroid! What a great story! I am so glad you and Gerry have found one another. I value your input!

      Delete