Ellie Mae

Ellie Mae
Beautiful Ellie Mae

Freddie, the French Bulldog

Freddie, the French Bulldog
Lazing on a sunny afternoon

The artist

The artist
Ollie Mac

Ollie and Annie

Ollie and Annie
Azorean grandmother

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Cannabis and sunflowers

Papa and Ollie Mac

Papa and Ollie Mac
Priorities, Baby

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Hollyhocks

Mahlon Masling Blue

Mahlon Masling Blue
My friend and brother.

Mark's E-mail address

bellspringsmark@gmail.com

Thursday, May 27, 2021

A Squared Plus B Squared

***


Most of my specific memories of Bishop Amat High School are fond and tend to be comical, simply because fifty-one years is a long time to hang onto bad memories. If you look long and hard enough, you can find humor everywhere.

Take Mrs. Felps for instance, a paragon of etiquette and decorum, if ever there were one. She taught senior civics to about forty of us guys, some time after lunch when things could slow down to a crawl. As a seventeen-year-old dude, I did not know what to make of her. She dressed stylishly in outfits which showcased her feminine attributes, and was always supremely sure of herself. She was no Sacred Heart priest, that was certain. I could not help but think she was enjoying herself teaching forty male seniors, but what do I know? 


Rarely did the porcelain crack, but crack it did-once. Crack? Shatter would be more accurate. It took Steve Clark, he of the laconic approach to words, to accomplish the deed in the closing days of our senior year. Yes, Mrs Felps was attempting to maintain order within her classroom; sadly, she was no match for the mood of the moment. 


Steve was stretched out on the floor on his back, arms akimbo. As far as any of us should tell, he was snoozing; no one was paying too much attention to Steve. The volume in the class had notched its way past problematic, and seemed destined for sound-the-alarm-level, when Mrs F. finally decided she’d best rein us in.


Her full skirt swirled as she assumed center stage, directly in front of her desk. Never one to melt in the glare of the spotlight, she towered above us in her stilettos, commanding our attention. She would have gotten it-no one disputes that point-but Steve got it first by bellowing out over the cacophony, “I can see up her dress!”


The brazen nature of the breech of etiquette was so flagrant, as to shock us into silence for the length of time it took for Mrs. Felps to react. To our utter shock, she doubled over in laughter and the roof caved in. Wherever the dean of boys was at that moment, he cringed, fearing the worst.


John Hartnett & Sister Genevieve
Not all successful performances are so exuberant in nature; some take place without a sound, like the Shimmering Smile caper, conceived and put into practice by none other than John Hartnett. 


Back the truck up, you might say. I know John Hartnett. He was always conscientious, studious and respectful. He still is! Could you be thinking of someone else a bit more mischievous, like John D, perhaps? 


No, and that’s what makes it so epic, simply because it WAS John H. The venue was Mr. Hemenway’s classroom, you know, when he was a rookie, before he became Mr. HEMENWAY.


Why John wanted to torment Mr. Hemenway escapes me at the moment, if that is what orchestrating the class into inserting tin foil over our upper set of teeth, constitutes. Obviously, much planning had gone into the event because John had to have brought the foil from home, precut the pieces and distributed them to the class. 


Verified photo of John describing
exactly how big he wanted us to smile.
The first time Mr H left the classroom for any reason, John gave the signal and we all covered our choppers with the foil so that when he came back in, all of us were bent over our work like the industrious math students that Mr H. hoped we were.


Before Mr. H. had had time enough to savor what may have seemed a minor victory, John gave the fatal signal and on cue, in four-part-harmony if you will, we all slowly raised our heads and gave that nice Mr. Hemenway a bright, shimmering smile. You could have heard a nose hair break off and drop to the floor.


Mr. Hemenway
Mr. Hemenway left the classroom hurriedly, in pursuit of the aforementioned dean of boys, while forty pieces of foil were wadded up and disposed of, never to be seen again. When Mr. H. returned with the dean, forty heads were bent over their respective books again, seemingly baffled by the ridiculous accusations being sputtered out by the normally loquacious Mr. Hemenway.


None seemed more confused by the allegations than John Hartnett, as he double-checked the accuracy of an answer on his homework. Was the hypotenuse of the triangle in question, indeed, A squared plus B squared, thus proving the Pythagorean Theorem? See what I mean? How could anyone think such dastardly conduct could come from John H?


In any case, even the Pros from Dover start out as rookies and are going to get razzed early on in their careers. I am quite certain that John would assure one and all that it was nothing personal-just bid-niz. Or is there more to this story? John?


If you would like more details on this-and countless other scorching topics-I suggest you attend the reunion scheduled for this October 16th. Otherwise, you do realize what’s going to happen, don’t you? If you don’t attend? Yep, you got it.


We’re all going to sit around and gossip about YOU! And only YOU! See you there...



*** This photo of the author of Mark's Work Merritts comment for two reasons: Check out those sideburns, thus defying both school rules and Sunrize Market dress code. Secondly, I now better understand why I have worn a beard most of my life. Great success!

7 comments:

  1. I wish I was there - I can picture everyone in my head like it was 1970.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's fifty-one years here and there among friends? Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. OMG! That's hysterical! Sweet innocent John Hartnett??? I'm with Denise..... Thanks, you made my day!!🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why does everyone have the same response? Not that innocent John Hartnett? He is also the same guy who was ready to get into his car last September 8th, after Denise and I headed up to Eureka under mandatory evacuation orders, to come help fight wildfires. If I am poking fun at John, it is with vast quantities of love attached. Great success!

      Delete
  3. OMG! I just now saw this post! So much to say. First, I also had Mrs Felps. The year you were a senior, I had her as a junior for American history. You had her at 5th period, I had her at 6th. But here's the thing. She was also the art teacher. I , too, was in that Honors track and there was no room for electives in that program. She felt that that was a huge disservice to us (I agree!) and so she gave us art classes on Fridays. This was heaven for me, the budding artist.

    As for Mr Hemenway, I had him in 10th grade (probably the same year you had him in 11th grade). Yes, he was a rookie and, in my case, he faced a group of 35 very bright girls - most of whom had a crush on him. I was mad at him b/c he couldn't control the class and I needed him to explain that damn geometry. To this day, I still hate geometry.

    And John Hartnett? One of my high school crushes, for sure! He was the kindest of all your friends (and all your friends were always kind to me!). I can see him wanting to come up and fight fires for you. Let's do a reunion at your house!

    I am so lucky to have had you for next oldest sibling. We made a good team (still do). XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art? What is this art of which you speak so blithely? I had no idea you had Mrs. F. Do you suppose I knew it back then? Asked Mr. Head -in-the-clouds. xoxo

      Delete
    2. Also, I had Mr. H as a sophomore for geometry. I loved it because I got it.

      Delete