Ellie Mae

Ellie Mae
Beautiful Ellie Mae

Freddie, the French Bulldog

Freddie, the French Bulldog
Lazing on a sunny afternoon

The artist

The artist
Ollie Mac

Ollie and Annie

Ollie and Annie
Azorean grandmother

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Cannabis and sunflowers

Papa and Ollie Mac

Papa and Ollie Mac
Priorities, Baby

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Hollyhocks

Mahlon Masling Blue

Mahlon Masling Blue
My friend and brother.

Mark's E-mail address

bellspringsmark@gmail.com

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Twice Times Zero Is Still Zero

Twice  Times Zero Is Still Zero
I may not be submitting a piece of writing this week to the Observer, because it seems I have asked for the unobtainable.  You are probably thinking to yourselves that I am getting greedy, and it did occur to me to ask for my salary to be doubled, but twice times zero, is still zero, so that seemed an empty gesture.
It has occurred to me that I might like to see my name in lights, so I asked the editor, Susan Shields, if I might not have my name included on the list of “contributors” on the inside of the second page of the newspaper.  After all, I do contribute my words each week, I am not paid, and I would like acknowledgment for that effort.
Now, effort is a relative term; I do not generally, sit down and write something for publication, as opposed to looking through a stack of already completed pieces of writing, and selecting one that meets my fancy.  But that is beside the point-I do submit a piece of writing, and I would like to have that work recognized.
Where is the impediment?  Is someone angry at me, but does not communicate that energy?  Am I off target, as far as my range of topics is concerned?  I do not know.  In December I sent a message, requesting that my name be added to the list of contributors, and received this response:
“For starters you can change your subject line from "Letter to the Editor" to "OpEd-O'Neill." As to "contributor" watch for your name on page two box, left side bottom.  The Irish editor decides who has the high honors.”
Now there is kind of a mystery presented, in that I assumed she was the Irish Editor, but I do not know that for a fact.  All I know is that I have subsequently asked twice more for acknowledgment, and been ignored both times.  If it weren’t for the fact that I was told initially that this was not an issue, I wouldn’t bring it up, or if the rule is you must submit ten thousand pieces before you are afforded the dubious “Honor” of being recognized for your writing, then fine.  I keep watching for my name, but I have not seen it, and I feel like the whole thing is a joke.  Well, I am done laughing.
If someone sees the flaw in my logic, I would appreciate your filling me in.  Otherwise, those of you who have indicated that you enjoy my writing, are going to have to struggle on without me.  I know that there is so much quality writing packed into the Observer each week, that it must be difficult to squeeze my offering in, but it does not seem as though that is going to be an issue any more.
In any case, I still post daily on my blog, so those who are interested can continue following.  I know that you would prefer to plunk your money down and purchase an Observer, but that won’t be necessary now.  Help yourself, and in case you are wondering, that last name is spelled with two “L's” thank you very much.




4 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, Mark, I think your request was reasonable and I think not submitting is a reasonable response to the lack of response you have seen from the staff at The Observer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of you for standing up for yourself, Bro. I noticed that you linked on FB too - that means the former students from Laytonville can be aware of why your work might not appear. Really, Ms Editor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who does not get The Observer, I am glad to hear you will keep blogging. I find it impossible to participate in events when the outcome seems to based on one person's whims. Your response is much more mature than mine would have been (picture a checker board being flipped end over end.)

    You might like to know you have a following up here in Washington state....although, your name is missing the two "L's". Among my family: husband, kids, mom and sisters, you are known as Mark The Mustache Guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New developments indicate a breakthrough in the negotiations. Thank you for your support!

    Michelle, as always, I come away with a smile, at the image of the checker board...

    ReplyDelete