Ellie Mae

Ellie Mae
Beautiful Ellie Mae

Freddie, the French Bulldog

Freddie, the French Bulldog
Lazing on a sunny afternoon

The artist

The artist
Ollie Mac

Ollie and Annie

Ollie and Annie
Azorean grandmother

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Cannabis and sunflowers

Papa and Ollie Mac

Papa and Ollie Mac
Priorities, Baby

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Hollyhocks

Mahlon Masling Blue

Mahlon Masling Blue
My friend and brother.

Mark's E-mail address

bellspringsmark@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

What If?


A vague sense of impending doom has been hovering over and within me for a while now and no, it’s not about kicking the bucket. At the risk of catastrophizing, an activity I have foresworn, I recognize that at 65, I am one misstep away from any number of possible calamities that could change my immediate future, rendering me incapable of doing basic chores.

I have been fortunate, and though I am not one to prattle on about gratitude, preferring to place either blame or credit for success in life, on my own shoulders, I recognize that what I have going could end in a nanosecond.

What do I have going, besides being the primary care-giver for Gluten-Free Mama?

      * I am three-fourths of the way through prepping the soil for my tomato plants. I have turned the ground over for six of the eight rows, including extending each enough to accommodate two extra plants. 

     * I am three-fourths of the way through through the process of moving my mountain of compost, just to the left, so as to redistribute all of the goodness. Specifically, I am mixing and blending the decomposed vegetative matter, together with the manure provided by the chickens and rabbits, and the wheelbarrows of decomposed soil/straw/compost/manure removed from the chickens’ yard.

* I am about one-third of the way through the weed-eating of my two-acre enclosed yard. As anyone knows who has ever tackled this chore, I must be able to overlook the discomfort that weed-eating imposes on my back, or I am doomed from the beginning. I therefore refuse to acknowledge that there is any discomfort, helped immensely by the judicious use of the CBD of my choice, AC/DC. A little rip will do you.

* I need only two sheets of ACX-quarter-inch plywood, to complete the renovation of my bathroom. This will require temporarily relocating my claw bathtub, heavy enough to be gainfully employed as a boat anchor in its next life, after being used as a horse trough in one of its past lives.

* SmallBoy and I are almost through building that little 8-by-10 laundry/pump house; all that’s left to do is the Hardy-Board and the installation of the door.

* At this precise moment in time, and for at least the next fifteen minutes, I have whipped this house into shape; by mountain standards it is immaculate.

* I am 90 % of the way through completely emptying out our mammoth [dead] kitchen refrigerator, providing for the chickens a spread that makes Babette’s Feast look more like a bad trip to Micky D’s.

* I exercise Ellie Mae every morning by walking her up to the top of the driveway and back and I care for our flock of fifteen chickens.

I fell again yesterday morning, the result of a completely unnecessary clamber over treacherous terrain, recently dug up by the excavator, to obtain a chunk of plywood. This was after two other recent tumbles, certainly an indication that I either need to go even slower than I already am, or I need to reexamine my “judicious use” of cannabis. 

The only way I can go any slower than I already am, is to walk backwards, and as for “judicious use,” I only used that phrase because it sounds so, I don’t know, sophisticated, I guess. Truthfully, I hit the bong whenever the situation calls for it. 

I don’t make the rules, you know. 

But that’s not what I want to prattle on about this morning. I am after bigger fish. What if my surgically-repaired knee suddenly decides to flake out on me? Or my similarly repaired shoulder? What if any of a number of old dude issues reaches out and pulls the rug out from under me, rendering me incapable of doing the basic work of a farmer?

On the one hand I know I am already getting more bang for my buck, at 65, than many; on the other hand, why should now, be it? I do not care to ponder an immediate future in which I cannot do the rudimentary tasks I now perform on a daily basis, even if I creak a bit.

What then is the right age? 68? 70? If I am still up and at ‘em every day, it’s hard to imagine I’d feel any differently. And I guess that’s the answer to when is the right age to call it quits: when I feel differently than I do now.

If that’s sidestepping the whole issue, then I better not-moving sideways is the worst possible thing I can do to my knees. And I would refer to the manual, as I am wont to do in these times, but when I went to check it out and explained why, the librarian laughed uproariously, and said, 

“You’re 65? And you want to know what your physical shelf-life is? lol. You’re so old you predate the “shelf-life” date requirement.” 

Oh. Now I wish I hadn’t asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment