Ellie Mae

Ellie Mae
Beautiful Ellie Mae

Freddie, the French Bulldog

Freddie, the French Bulldog
Lazing on a sunny afternoon

The artist

The artist
Ollie Mac

Ollie and Annie

Ollie and Annie
Azorean grandmother

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Cannabis and sunflowers

Papa and Ollie Mac

Papa and Ollie Mac
Priorities, Baby

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Hollyhocks

Mahlon Masling Blue

Mahlon Masling Blue
My friend and brother.

Mark's E-mail address

bellspringsmark@gmail.com

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Stay!

Never in the history of dogdom, has there been a more rewarding homework assignment, than the one issued forth from last Saturday’s hour-long session. After watching two of the advanced canine students perform for the rest of us, down in the studio in Willits, demonstrating extraordinary skills in the field of simply staying on command, I went home with a fierce desire to similarly endow Ellie Mae with this skill set.

The concept not being a new one, Ellie and I have been working on-and-off on it since Day One, most notably with the chickens. The result has been that all of our chickens are still present and accounted for. The teaching format is not quite the same as the one suggested during class, but the ultimate success of not losing any chickens cannot be denied.

Listening to Jackson Brown’s “Stay [Just a Little Bit Longer]” in my mind, I have worked with Ellie Mae each morning this week. Stashed away for the moment is the flat leash I use to walk her every day; in its place is the thirty-foot-long training leash.

Wishing to revisit the commands of “place,” “sit,” “look,” and “stay,” I planted Ellie Mae’s little orange rug in the center of the living room. I then walked her on the leash to the spot, asked her to first sit and then look, pointing two fingers at my two eyes. I then commanded her to stay. 

The idea is to get her situated, and then slowly back away eighteen or twenty feet, while maintaining eye contact and bidding her to remain on the mat. I am shooting for sixty seconds as a starting point, figuring that after a full minute, Ellie Mae will relax and be prepared to stay for however long I need her to. I repeat several times.

I never forget the hand signal. In asking Ellie Mae to stay, I simultaneously extend my right arm/hand in the classic stop sign, my hand held out palm forward, to discourage her from wanting to bolt. It is this hand signal that I use to reinforce my command, as I am slowly retreating from her side. I strive to keep my voice in command form, so as not to suggest that there is an element of play involved.

School is of uppermost importance to both Ellie Mae and me. She is not only intelligent, she is quick to learn.

While having her two students put the two trained dogs through their paces, our instructor Nancy upped the ante by deliberately walking near the two student canines, providing a distraction to see how they would hold up. Both did famously.

Therefore, when Ellie Mae and I are working, Gluten-Free Mama provides the same service for Ellie Mae, strolling past her spot to create a little diversion. To my complete shock, she has been able to withstand the temptation to bolt off of her mat. 
An astute pupil

Ellie Mae is proving to be an astute pupil.

It goes without saying that dog treats are a part of the equation, more so for some dogs than for others. It all depends on what motivates your dog. Ellie Mae certainly likes the treats, make no mistake, but ultimately, that is not what motivates this little jewel of a rescue dog: She simply wants to please.

Still, there is something to be said for a well-timed duck treat, especially after a particularly successful occurrence. Nancy emphasized the need to make the praise commensurate with the level of success. To overly praise you dog for sitting, makes little sense, just as brushing aside the ability to stay for a full minute-with distractions-makes no sense. 

A job well done should be acknowledged accordingly. Praise and a dog treat are in order, just as rewarding a dog treat for noncompliance should be avoided. Telling your dog to sit, only to have her jump up at you, and then rewarding her with a treat on top of it all, sends the wrong message. If all she has to do is show up to get a nugget, where is the motivation to mind?
I took this photo as I wrote this piece. She sleeps
with the most amazing smile on her face.
In summary the dog obedience classes in Willits have been wildly successful. Though I am familiar with a fair amount of what is being presented, it’s the follow-through and commitment to be prepared for the next session, that is most critical. 

A mutually beneficial arrangement for all parties, if ever there were one, the ability to proceed through life with a well-behaved young dog, ranks as one of life’s most rewarding opportunities. 

No gold stars necessary-just a pat on the head, and maybe a dog treat. For Ellie Mae, not me. 





No comments:

Post a Comment