Ellie Mae

Ellie Mae
Beautiful Ellie Mae

Freddie, the French Bulldog

Freddie, the French Bulldog
Lazing on a sunny afternoon

The artist

The artist
Ollie Mac

Ollie and Annie

Ollie and Annie
Azorean grandmother

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Cannabis and sunflowers

Papa and Ollie Mac

Papa and Ollie Mac
Priorities, Baby

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Hollyhocks

Mahlon Masling Blue

Mahlon Masling Blue
My friend and brother.

Mark's E-mail address

bellspringsmark@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Job Security


Job Security

“Monday means market day here at HappyDay Farms, and Annie and I will be in the ‘Ville this afternoon, with kale, collards, salad greens, tomatoes, peppers and Arkansas black apples.”

This is the start of Monday’s post, as I did what I have tried to do on Mondays for the past three years or so, posting photos and sharing what is happening on-farm. The big difference this week, is that I was going to be in town as Annie’s faithful sidekick, something that I have only accomplished once this season, way back in May.
My reason for going was primarily to support Annie, who was determined to carry out market down in Laytonville, even though the decision has been made by both Casey and Amber to take some time off. Both had announced earlier, that come October, they were stepping back out of the arena, both in need of a break from the frenzy of CSA and market life.

The reason Annie wants continue is that we still have hot-weather crops producing at a high volume, despite the rain that has blessed us with its presence the past two days. We took vast quantities of Ace tomatoes, habanero and sweet peppers, eggplant, two varieties of string beans, sweet onions, kale, salad greens, beets, and Arkansas black apples to market yesterday.

I also took produce to Courtney at Mendo Sun and to Will at Sho ‘Nuff Dem Biscuits, a task that I enjoy immensely because of the warm reception I get. It never ceases to amaze me how happy our produce makes people.

It is the ultimate guarantee that you must be doing something right. Casey has written for some time now about how rewarding it is to provide vibrantly healthy food for his community, and he could not be more accurate.

In our culture, we are fighting an uphill battle as consumers are bombarded with advertising that emphasizes unhealthy-but highly appealing-food choices. Additionally, the cost of a cheeseburger is frequently half that of an organic green salad, lending weight (pun intended) to the argument that fast food is simply a better choice.
The meme on social media warns that you can either pay the price for healthy food now, or pay the doctor down the line. There is much evidence that diet has everything to do with avoiding the ravages of cancer.

Diet and proper exercise are the only credible ways to maintain one’s weight, and organic veggies have to be a part of any healthy regimen. The fact that they are fresh, appealing and tasty is just a bonus, and folks are not shy about sharing their appreciation with us.

It is a mutually beneficial arrangement, especially since about the only thing we brought home with us were tomatoes. And just in case you think that is a bummer, allow me to assure you, it is the ultimate twofer, because I am about to start processing those we brought back. Together with the four boxes of tomatoes I didn’t even take down to town, I will have job security.

Yesterday’s excursion into town was flawless and quite enjoyable. I got the chance to catch up with some friends I had not seen in a long time, and I felt our contribution to our community was a valuable one, as Casey has so noted in the past.

As long as October continues to do what it has always done in the past, Annie and I will be down at market on Mondays, with whatever produce the farm is producing. 



You’ll recognize me; I will be the one polishing the Arkansas blacks.





1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a terrific way to spend October Mondays. I am looking forward to more home grown veggies now that Alex and Claire are living here. They are highly motivated to grow our produce.

    ReplyDelete