Ellie Mae

Ellie Mae
Beautiful Ellie Mae

Freddie, the French Bulldog

Freddie, the French Bulldog
Lazing on a sunny afternoon

The artist

The artist
Ollie Mac

Ollie and Annie

Ollie and Annie
Azorean grandmother

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Cannabis and sunflowers

Papa and Ollie Mac

Papa and Ollie Mac
Priorities, Baby

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Hollyhocks

Mahlon Masling Blue

Mahlon Masling Blue
My friend and brother.

Mark's E-mail address

bellspringsmark@gmail.com

Monday, December 23, 2013

Free Six-Pack, Anyone?


Free Six-Pack, Anyone?

Life is glorious!  I finally have time to write a quick piece, after being immersed in a new project for a week or so now, ever since I posted a little blurb on f/b about getting feedback on a half-dozen short pieces of fiction I had written in the past.  The response was very generous and I considered each and every comment carefully, as I sifted through what folks had to say.

First of all, why was I asking for feedback? I was instructed to do so as part of the process of finally getting something published in the form of an e-book.  This procedure for cyberspace publishing is fascinating to say the least, but daunting at the same time.  I have been marking time for a couple of years now, as stuck as Ella Fitzgerald’s Santa Clause in the chimney, not able to go forward, and certainly not wanting to fall by the publishing wayside.

So I asked for feedback as a way of beginning the works, and have begun the task of making changes.  I find the process to be enjoyable and fairly effortless, primarily because there is no timeframe.  Having the flexibility to go forward, without the pressure of a deadline for the whole project, is the best of all worlds.

Of course, I needed a conductor, and the time to set aside sufficient pecuniary measures to defray the cost of the first leg of the venture.  I am enthusiastically involved on face/book and have made many invaluable connections, one of them being Jack, who has “dabbled” in writing certainly from back in his middle school days, when he used to delight me with his humorous stories, sprinkling those fifteen spelling words throughout his essays.  I noted particular posts on f/b in the past which referred to specific works of his that Jack had published in cyberspace, and communicated with him over a year ago.

Jack told me about SmashWords, and showed me how to order the free do-it-yourself manual, which I did.  It was informative but when it came to the logistics of formatting work from my computer, to the language of cyberspace, the book required that I be more versed in technology than I am.  As I say to people, I am a self-taught computer person, which means I am totally hands-on, without the ability to speak computerese.  

My plan is to begin with a six-pack of stories, which I will offer for free, with the intention of repeating this step at least twice more.  By the time I have put three of these six-packs of stories out, then I would like to try an eighteen-pack, maybe for the nominal sum of $0.99.  After all, I have more than a hundred of these stories already written, with plenty more available from where those came.  

Having waited for this long already, I am content to allow the process to unfold at its own pace.  I am excited without being manic.  There’s a difference, you know, and I’m glad I have figured that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment