Ellie Mae

Ellie Mae
Beautiful Ellie Mae

Freddie, the French Bulldog

Freddie, the French Bulldog
Lazing on a sunny afternoon

The artist

The artist
Ollie Mac

Ollie and Annie

Ollie and Annie
Azorean grandmother

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Cannabis and sunflowers

Papa and Ollie Mac

Papa and Ollie Mac
Priorities, Baby

Acrylics and watercolors

Acrylics and watercolors
Hollyhocks

Mahlon Masling Blue

Mahlon Masling Blue
My friend and brother.

Mark's E-mail address

bellspringsmark@gmail.com

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Hello, My Name Is Mark, and I'm Addicted to FaceBook


Hello, My Name is Mark, 
And I’m addicted to FaceBook
Back during another lifetime, when I was still blogging, I wrote a few pieces on my discovery of FaceBook.  My initiation into this social networking system came about by accident, because my computer orchestrated it automatically, after I signed up to make comments on sfgiants.com.  
Lito helped me with a few of the bare bones basics, and the rest was easy.  The welcome extended to me has been overwhelming, and I am amazed every day of my life now, at the things that are presented in a continuous flow of information and good vibes.  FaceBook is astoundingly positive.  Yes, of course, people vent occasionally, but generally at this thing called life, and not so much at people, specifically. 
When that happens, frequently it is the culmination of a long and hard-fought battle, and what are you going to do?  I remember one of the first days I was on F/B, someone commented that there seemed to be a lot of negativity on the scene that day, and I took note of that.  For the most part, though, FaceBook is an ongoing revelation of the positive ideas and events that shape people’s lives.
For me, who was a part of many of your middle school educational adventures, the resulting panorama of local history on display, is fascinating.  Partly because of the fact that I was pretty secluded for a few years there, and partly because I began teaching a long time ago, on my birthday, in 1990, there has been a lot of history for me to catch up on.
In earlier posts I commented on how welcoming everyone seemed to be, especially if you struggled in middle school.  Whereas I figured the last person someone would want to encounter would be his or her middle school language arts teacher, I find that people are very forgiving.  They tend to remember the good things and let the other fade.  I cannot tell you how often people want to apologize for being “a disrespectful S.O.B.” and I always say the same thing, “That’s what you got paid the big bucks for.”
Now I see the most amazing things every day, with people sharing pictures, and making observations about the state of their own personal ships at sea.  I love the dialogue that goes on about the Giants, and those who have the nerve to follow other teams.  Of course, without these poor, misguided souls’ input, where would be the fun?  We need to have someone touting the Dodgers as the best team in the NL West, if for no other reason than to be able to poke fun at him or her.  The Dodgers?  lol
There are other noteworthy elements to admire about F/B every day.  Without F/B how would I know that Nicole has now gone two months and one day, without smoking cigarettes, and that the smell of them now makes her sick?  That is an awesome thing to read, because if I read it, then others did also.  I smoked my last cigarette on March 15, 1985, so I can identify with her ongoing efforts.  I must say though, that I still find the smell of cigarettes to be inviting... 
I absolutely love any and all mention of little people, whose pictures, and whose academic and playground accomplishments are displayed every day of the week.  There is so much to be absorbed.  I have heard criticism of FaceBook, because it is said to be addictive.  I see it like anything else that is good: too much can be a distraction, but ultimately, I take in that which I have time and interest in, and let go the rest.  
Because there is a continuous flow of good information, and valuable comments and observations, it’s not as though one must partake in it all.  I have the hardest time with internet reception, but then I think back to thirty years ago, come the 31st of this month, when Annie and i first arrived on our ridge, and I do not feel very lonely at all.  Internet service may be slow, but how slow does it have to be, before I stop being amazed at how extraordinary it is to be able to talk to Erin in Europe, or Carolyn, as she updates us from Logan Airport?
No, when the internet service is slow, I simply remember that there was a time, especially when I was still a kid, when not having the net meant not having to wait for a connection.  Well, I like the connections, and I like the resulting way it makes me feel, to know that if I walked into Geiger’s on any given day of the week, and encountered a munchkin in a stroller or on someone’s back, there is a better than even chance that I would be able to address him or her by name.
Considering I live up here on a ridge-top, and can go days on end without seeing anyone but Annie, or maybe Casey and Amber, I feel pretty plugged into this community in which I live.  Facebook may be time-consuming and addictive, but so is life.  You have to pay to play, so get in line.  This computer is already taken; but you can check out this u-tube video on Tapis Rouge-African music that will knock your socks off.  It’s all available on FaceBook.

1 comment:

  1. FB is a fun thing - I mostly like to see what others post and to click on photos or news stories from different feeds. Sometimes it gives me a place to hang a quote that I like or to celebrate some good day.

    ReplyDelete